Following the impetus of the 8th National Mainstreet Conference in 2011 being awarded to Adelaide, the local organising committee developed Mainstreet SA, a branch of Mainstreet Australia.
Mainstreet SA is a not for profit, member based organisation committed to supporting streets as destinations for local goods, services and shopping. We also assist these streets to promote their local identity and authentic offering.
What was once ‘the local shops’ has grown into a significant contribution to our economy in terms of trade and employment. In addition our traditional shopping villages are becoming community centres, forming a vital link in our community infrastructure.
Mainstreet SA represents local business groups, centre coordinators, economic development practitioners and individuals who share a commitment to promoting and developing mainstreets across South Australia.
- To promote and foster the commercial, tourism and placemaking interests of members through recognising mainstreets as the beating heart of their communities.
- To be a forum for information exchange and provide valuable networking, education, support and strategic direction for all stakeholders.
- To act as an advocate by providing guidance and leadership on behalf of traditional mainstreet communities to address the issues of concern to those working in, and sharing, our mainstreets.
- To actively organise and conduct information seminars, workshops, networking events, and other forums relating to mainstreets and the issues faced by businesses, commercial property owners, government and community.
- To raise the profile of mainstreets in the media.